March 7, 2009

Finding a Flexible Funeral Director, Part 2

Rev. Lynn Acquafondata of Pittsburgh, Penn., has worked with funeral homes in her area to identify those that will offer flexible services to families that want to provide most of the care of their own dead.

Acquafondata is an end-of-life guide who guides families through the process of directing their own funerals, assisting at whatever level they desire, but take care not to provide services that only a licensed funeral director can perform, since she is paid for these services. That meant thoroughly grasping what her boundaries would be as she sat up her business. Fortunately, she found a funeral home that helped her achieve clarity about these boundaries (which aren't an issue for a family caring for its own dead).

"I think advance contacts are best so that the funeral homes are familiar with what I am doing and I know ahead of time I have their support," she says. "The local Funeral Consumers' Alliance gave me names of funeral homes who were most likely to be receptive. One funeral home owner was helpful in several ways in getting my business started such as helping to identify the laws I need to be aware of and the boundaries I need to make clear in order not to be sued by competitive and sometimes contentious local funeral homes. He came up with a price list for services which my clients may need/want that I cannot offer such as transportation of the body and securing permits and death certificates.

"A second funeral home does not see me as a competitor, but as offering a complementary service. They said they would put my flyers out. They are going to come up with a similar price list for me. I'm meeting with a crematory owner sometime this week. I know these
people are likely the exceptions, but it's good to know ahead of time I have some funeral directors I can work with as needed," says Acquafondata.

A Unitarian Universalist ordained minister, Acquafondata calls her new venture "Final Journey Home."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment.